Who Is On My Wifi version 2.1.0

Version 2.1.0 of Who Is On My Wifi was released this afternoon.

This was mainly just bug fixes and cleanup.

We were planning on a feature release for this release, but some last minute bugs have kept out the features for now.  So, we decided to go ahead and release these bug fixes and minor enhancements now instead of when the new features go out.

Minor Enhancements:

Installer Images

When installing this newest version, you might have noticed that the installer looks a little different.  We added some icons that are more in sync with the product and the company than what was there previously.  We weren’t even going to mention this, but didn’t want people to think that they had downloaded someone else’s program.  Yes, this is our new installer.  We hope you like it.

Settings Name Change 

In Scan->Settings->Advanced, we used the call the secondary ping scan “Enhance Detection with Ping Scan”.  But what we’ve found is that this secondary scan isn’t really as stable as the primary ARP scan.  We built it into the software a few months ago because there are certain routers that don’t seem to allow ARP packets to be constantly queried.  So, there were people who were finding that the software just didn’t respond at all, and could never detect computers.

This is really what the Secondary Ping Scan was built for.  Really for those types of situations.  It shouldn’t be used unless it’s needed.  That’s why we’ve changed the name to “Add Secondary Ping Scan (not recommended)” .  It’s not that it will do any harm, but unless you need it, there’s no real point in using it.

Updated Help to explain Batch

We’d received a few e-mails from people who were confused about the Batch checkbox next to computers on the Scan page.  We’ve hopefully explained this in the Help section now.  If anyone still has any questions, please contact us.

Bug Fixes:

Memory allocation bug with blocking over long periods

So, this bug took a while to detect with blocking.  What’s happening is that the blocking log file gets incredibly large because a blocking packet is sent almost every second when a computer is online and being blocked.  You can imagine that over a few weeks of time, if all of that log information was still being stored and not released, that it would take up quite a bit of memory.

This wasn’t a problem for the actual log files, but this was a problem for the log file that is display on the Home page of the software.

So, we had to limit what is displayed and held in memory when it comes to the blocking log.  Most people shouldn’t notice anything, but it should keep the memory of the program down which was causing problems for people who were constantly blocking devices.